Frye Art Museum in Seattle, WA
Frye Art Museum is one of the best art museums in Seattle, WA. It contains over 40,000 works of art, and it has a lot to offer visitors. Whether you’re looking for great exhibitions or want to explore this fantastic museum, Frye Art Museum will not disappoint.
Frye Art Museum is dedicated to the art of the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries. The museum’s collection also includes works by many of the most famous artists in history.
History of Frye Art Museum
Location of Frye Art Museum in Seattle, Washington Get Directions Year Founded 1952 – Foundation was laid with the name “Northwest School of Painting and Sculpture,” but no building was constructed. The museum opened its doors to the public on April 22, 1959, after a successful fundraising campaign under its original name. Now named for early benefactor Charles E. Frye who donated $100,000 in securities towards construction in 1927. Current Location: First Avenue at Union Street Neighborhoods: Belltown Built/Founded On: 1930s.
Frye Art Museum’s permanent collection contains more than 20,000 artworks, including Andy Warhol, Claude Monet, Edgar Degas, and Vincent van Gogh. Unique To The Collection Visitors can see the essential works of Northwest artists such as Paul Horiuchi, Morris Graves, and Kenneth Callahan.
What are some things that you should do when visiting Frye Art Museum? Keep reading for ten tips!
1) Check out the current exhibitions.
- The museum always has several excellent, ongoing exhibitions that will keep you busy for hours.
- Make sure to check both levels of the museum, and don’t miss going up in the rooftop tower!
2) Look for the special exhibits.
- The museum has several smaller, rotating exhibitions that usually feature artists from around the world and will be on display for just a few months at most.
- Be sure to check out what these temporary displays have in store!
3) Get a library card.
- The museum offers free admission with the Seattle Public Library’s All Cards Free program – show your library card at the admissions desk to get in for free!
- This is great if you’re visiting Frye Art Museum on a budget or want to take advantage of this special offer.
- Be sure to check out their latest exhibitions before you leave!
4) Take advantage of the Museum Shop.
- The museum has a fantastic gift shop that features some very unique items, including books on art and artists in addition to plenty of more traditional gifts.
- They also have cute postcards with paintings by C.F.W. Walther!
- Don’t forget to pick up something while you’re there – everyone loves souvenirs!
5) Get a membership.
- Memberships to Frye Art Museum are very affordable and make an excellent gift for friends or family who love art!
- In addition to getting free admission, members also get discounts at the museum shop and invitations to special events throughout the year.
- They even have a Kids Membership that’s great if you’re bringing your children with you – they’ll enjoy all their benefits at no extra cost!
6) Don’t forget to check out the museum’s rooftop.
- The top floor of Frye Art Museum features a fantastic view over Seattle and lots of seating for visitors, making it an excellent place to relax and soak in the beauty around you.
- It also has rotating exhibits that will be on display during your visit!
7) Bring your camera and take pictures.
- The museum is a gorgeous building that will look great in photographs – be sure to bring your phone or digital camera so you can snap some shots!
- You’ll also want to check out the beautiful sculptures outside, including one of Henry Moore’s famous reclining figures as well as works by Elie Nadelman and George Tsutakawa.
- Don’t forget to catch views from across our city while you’re there too!
8) Bring your kids.
- The museum is an excellent place for children and has several activities to keep them entertained, including art projects and even their scavenger hunt!
- They also have Sunday Adventures every week where they’ll explore the exhibits with you and learn about different artists throughout history!
- Children under six can visit for free, so Frye Art Museum makes an excellent family outing!
9) Check out the gift shop.
- The museum’s gift shop is one of our favorite places to spend time – not only does it have a great selection, but they also let you try things on before you buy!
- They sell lots of unique items like books and jewelry and traditional gifts such as cards and stuffed animals.
- We love spending an hour or two in this store every time we visit; be sure to check out what new stuff they’ve got when you go!
10) Check out their events.
- Frye Art Museum is an excellent place to visit, but it’s even better when they have a special event going on!
- They often host lectures and classes and concerts that you won’t want to miss – check the calendar before your trip so you can plan!
What is there to see?
Among many other things visitors will find works by artists such as Oskar Kokoschka, Max Beckmann , Pablo Picasso , Henri Matisse, Mary Cassatt and Georgia O’Keeff e.
What are some of the exhibits?
Rotating exhibitions include work from traditional to contemporary fine arts. Artists featured in recent presentations have included Kaari Upson, Strange Cargo IV: Social Commentary on Paper & Shauna Richardson: Felt Mistress.
What are the hours?
Wednesday – Sunday: 11 AM – 5 PM (except on Monday and Tuesday).
The next time you’re looking for something fun to do with friends or family, make sure you head down to Frye Art Museum! You won’t regret spending some time at this beautiful art gallery filled with paintings by C.F.W Walther and other talented artists from all over North America!
Address: 704 Terry Ave, Seattle, WA 98104, United States
If you’re looking for Seattle’s House Cleaning Service, you can book with us!
Next Thing To Do In Seattle: